Tuesday, February 10, 2015

There's an App for That...

As an early iPad adopter and someone who trains teachers on how to use iPads in the classroom, there have been times when I've felt overwhelmed by the number of apps and resources available to choose from. Sometimes having unlimited options can feel paralyzing, and I often consider that when I decide which apps to share with other teachers and how many to share at one time. I was reminded of this when I browsed the options available for use on the Nova website. There were over a dozen note-taking apps alone! I know much depends on personal preferences, but I'm curious to hear from our class presenter, Everett Painter, about some of the considerations he uses in selecting tools to use.

I tend to gravitate toward tools that can accomplish several objectives on its own or is designed to interface with other apps or devices. Evernote, for example, can be used for note taking and audio recording, and it syncs with Skitch and Penultimate. Evernote and Skitch also have desktop platforms so I can move between my computer and mobile device as necessary. Those affordances push me toward some apps over others. So I guess I'm wondering:

  • Which of the apps have a web/desktop platform in addition to the mobile app?
  • Are there any apps that are mobile-only but offer unique features that can't be accomplished by a laptop? 
As far as the readings this week, I really appreciated the Corti, van den Eynden, Bishop & Woollard (2014) chapter. As a beginning researcher, there are many aspects of the research process that I'm not sure I could anticipate in advance. I recognize the importance of planning, and I liked how the chapter broke steps down into checklists of questions to consider. There were many there -- especially about formatting and storage -- that I hadn't really thought about before. I am certain that I will return to this chapter in the future as I plan my research.

I'm also fascinated by some of the ethical questions that come out of doing Internet research. As the Paulus, Lester, & Dempster (2014) pointed out, there are lots of grey areas when it comes to online research, and I'm excited about entering a research area that is still so new and undefined. I know that forging new ground carries with it a lot of extra responsibilities to get it right, but I also look forward in participating in debates about what those standards should be. I will definitely be tracking down some of the recommended resources mentioned in the chapter's bibliography so that I can learn more about the ethical issues of online research and familiarize myself with those practices as I plan my research. 

1 comment:

  1. I would love to draw on your expertise tonight or in future classes in regards to apps that you have found helpful. I am noticing that sometimes apps that are helpful for teaching are also helpful for research when considered at a slightly different angle. I thought the Corti chapter was really helpful, too - and you may want to check out their book (I'll share details tonight.)

    ReplyDelete